British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL)
The British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL) is a learned society, based in the UK, which provides a forum for people interested in language and applied linguistics. There is an elected Executive Committee (EC) that represents the interests of members. The current Chair (2018-2021) is Dawn Knight.
Membership of BAAL
BAAL has an international membership of over 1000 members and is a registered UK charity (charity number 264800). BAAL has a number of Special Interest Groups (SIGs), which meet regularly and provide opportunities for researchers to share, promote and develop work within specific areas of applied linguistics.
Individual memberships is £50 per year and £20 for full-time students and retired/unwaged individuals. Individual membership of BAAL offers full access to:
- Special interest Groups
- Seminars in association with Cambridge University Press, with discounted registration.
- Special publisher discounts on a range of books and journals.
- BAALmail, our membership mailing list.
- Our bi-annual BAAL newsletter
- Discount for the BAAL Annual Conference
- Membership of AILA, the International Association of Applied Linguistics, including a discount for the triennial AILA World Congress.
- Access on request to the full BAAL membership list, which details members’ names, institutional affiliations (if provided) and email addresses
The website: https://www.baal.org.uk